Statistic on Paralysis
- Paralysis affects about four to five million Americans. Here are some other interesting statistics on paralysis:
- As many as 400,000 Americans are living with spinal cord injuries.
- Most spinal cord injuries occur between the ages of 16 and 30, and about 82% of those who experience spinal cord injuries are male.
- The average age at which spinal cord injuries occur is 33.4 years
- The most frequent age at injury is 19.
- Motor vehicle accidents account for 44% of spinal cord injuries.
- Other leading causes of spinal cord injury include acts of violence (22%), falls (22%), and sports (8%). Two-thirds of the sports-related injuries are from diving.
- Falls are the leading cause of spinal cord injury after the age of 45.