Who Do Spinal Cord Injuries Affect in the United States?
- 250,000 Americans are spinal cord injured.
- 52% of spinal cord injured individuals are considered paraplegic and 47% quadriplegic.
- Approximately 11,000 new injuries occur each year.
- 82% are male.
- 56% of injuries occur between the ages of 16 and 30.
- The average age of spinal cord injured person is 31.
SCI injuries are most commonly caused by:
- Vehicular accidents 37%
- Violence 28%
- Falls 21%
- Sports-related 6%
- Other 8
Statistics from Sci-info-pages.